Kerala style long beans stir fry with spices, ginger and garlic. A quick and healthy dish that can be served with rice. One of the side dishes for Kerala Onam Sadya 🙂
For other Indian vegetarian recipes, check out:
- Cut long beans into 1 inch long pieces. If the beans are matured (slightly yellowish), take out the seeds and use only seeds. Thinly slice onion. You can also use shallots instead of onion.
- Heat oil in a large skillet (Cast iron skillet works well). Splutter mustard seeds and then add curry leaves.
- Add chopped long beans, sliced onions, ginger, garlic, turmeric powder, chilli powder and salt. Add 1 tsp oil and stir it well until well combined. Cover and cook. Don't add water. It naturally has a lot of water in it, which releases when they are cooked.
- Cook in medium heat until water gets almost dried up. Stir in between, otherwise it can get burnt. It might take around 15 - 20 minutes.
- Add 1- 2 tsp oil, saute it for around 5 minutes in medium flame until it gets roasted well. Serve with rice 🙂
Don't add water while cooking long beans for better taste.