Pineapple cooked in coconut and yogurt based gravy. It’s a yummy sweet and sour side dish with rice. One of the must side dishes for Kerala Onam Sadya.
- Peel and remove the skin of the pineapple. Chop it into small 1" slices or even smaller. Slit the green chilli lengthwise.
- Cook pineapple pieces along with salt, turmeric powder and green chilli. Cover the pan and cook it over medium flame until pineapple pieces are cooked and soft. Mash few of the pieces, at this time.
- Add sugar. Adjust sugar quantity based on the sweetness of the pineapple and how sweet you want the curry to be.
- Grind together ingredients listed under grind section into a fine paste - coconut, mustard seed, green chilli, shallot and cumin seed. Add sufficient water to grind it. If you are using frozen or refrigerated coconut (and not freshly grated one), grind with lukewarm water to get the fine paste.
- Once the pineapple is cooked, add the ground mixture to cooked pineapple and mix well. Cook it for around 5- 10 minutes until it boils and have slight thick consistency.
- Switch off the flame and remove the pan. Then add yogurt and mix well. Adjust salt.
- For seasoning - Slice shallots. Splutter mustard seeds. Add shallots and fry. Then add dried red chilli and curry leaves.
- Serve it with rice 🙂
I made it with slightly thick consistency. Based on the consistency you need, you can add more water while grinding the coconut paste.